We often get calls for quotes for carpet cleaning services, and once in a while we get the “so and so is a lot cheaper than you”. Often we refrain from responding with: “you get what you pay for” or “cheap prices mean cheap services”
Not all carpet cleaning companies are created equal and many customers are confused about the service they are asking for. While most companies promise quality service for a low price, you may not always get it.
Small service businesses have to struggle to compete in a challenging industry that has many “on the fly” entrepreneurs that give a bad reputation to those services providers that offer an honest service.
The key to offering a fair choice is to educate our customers, no matter what service industry you are in, education will make for savvy customers.
Here are some things to look for in your carpet cleaner.
- Industry Training and Certification
Ask what types of professional training a company’s technicians have received. A professional carpet cleaning company should employ people that hold the Carpet Cleaning Technician certification by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification. This is the most common and well-known training body for the cleaning and restoration industry in North America and in Canada. IICRC offers many other industry certifications. All QJS’ senior technicians are certified by the IICRC.
- Carpet Cleaning Experience and Reviews
Knowledge comes not only with education, but experience. Ask how long a company has been in business and check their social media sites/ review sites for customer feedback.
QJS has been in business for over 25 years and has an unparalleled 5 Star rating in online reviews.
Carpet Cleaning License and Insurance
In many cities, small cleaning companies come and go rapidly. Ask the company you call whether they are a registered business. A cleaning company should carry liability and WSIB insurance. QJS is a registered corporation and fully insured.
- Carpet Cleaning Price
If the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Price should never be the main reason for choosing a carpet cleaning company. Always read the fine print on advertised specials. QJS is not the cheapest but certainly the best value for your money!
- Carpet Cleaning Method
The IICRC defines the five main principles of carpet cleaning as:
- Dry soil removal: Thorough vacuuming helps to remove dry soils from carpet fibers.
- Pre stain Process: The application of the proper pre-treatment agent to loosen soils from carpet fibers. QJS includes treatments such as enzyme for pet stains and high traffic area treatment.
- Soil extraction: The most common method for removing soils from carpet is the hot water extraction method, also known as steam cleaning.
- Grooming: Grooming of carpet helps eliminate matting of fiber and properly distribute cleaning agents.
- Drying: With normal temperature and humidity conditions, carpet should take no longer than 24 hours to dry. The ideal dry time for carpet should be around six to eight hours. QJS uses air movers and dehumidifiers to speed the drying process.
- PH Treatment
Many companies use high pH cleaners on a carpet. While they clean well, it makes your carpet a magnet to dirt, allowing it to re-soil easily, and can have a sticky or crunchy feel. This can damage the carpet’s fibers and shorten its useful life. Ask whether the carpet’s pH will be lowered or neutralized following the cleaning to help it stay clean longer.
- Service Guarantee
A good carpet cleaning company should offer some type of guarantee. Sometimes spots can come back or other issues occur, so you want to know if you have options should this occur. Also, ask about the time frame for the guarantee so you can be sure you call in time if there is a problem.
We offer 100% guarantee in all our jobs and come back to handle any issues.
- Customer Service Excellence
So you booked the job and got it done. Did you get a phone call or e-mail reminder of the service? Did you hear back from the company after your service to see if the job was done to your satisfaction? QJS will do this and more. We will be part of the pre-service, during service and after-service process and be available to answer any question at your earliest convenience. Our Customer Service is second to none!